ST. JOHN THE BAPTIST DIOCESAN HIGH SCHOOL
2016-2017 DRESS CODE
In choosing to attend St. John's, a student and parent implicitly acknowledge a responsibility to comply with all rules and regulations without exception. ANY STUDENT WHO IS NOT IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE DRESS CODE WILL BE SUBJECT TO DISCIPLINARY ACTION. When there is any question regarding the appropriateness of attire or appearance, the determination will be made by an Administrator. Failure to comply with the dress code may result in suspension and may lead to termination. Dress code regulations are subject to change. All changes are effective subsequent to notification. Please read carefully before purchasing your child's uniform at Lobel's (Massapequa Mall). Students are to arrive and remain in uniform throughout the entire school day and leave on the bus in complete school uniform.
GENERAL DRESS CODE
- Shoes: Students (grades 9-11) are required to purchase the official SJB shoe through the White Cross Shoe Company (1-516-616-1488). NO OTHER SHOE IS PERMITTED. Sneakers may not be worn. Seniors may wear a classic black leather penny loafer (no tassels or patent leather). Bass "Logan" design for boys and "Diane Original Weejuns" for girls.
- Blazers: Students (grades 9-10) are required to wear the official SJB blazer purchased from Lobel's with the embroidered school emblem, from October through the second week of May. Blazers must be worn appropriately sized and gender appropriate. Freshmen are expected to purchase a new blazer.
- Shirts/Blouses: Girls are required to wear the official uniform blouse in white or blue purchased at Lobel's. Girls' blouses must be completely buttoned. Boys are required to wear a white or blue Oxford (button-down collar) shirt purchased at Lobel's. Boys' shirts must be completely buttoned and ties properly knotted. All blouses/shirts must be tucked in to create a business-like appearance. These must be worn properly sized.
- Fall/Spring Uniform Polo Shirt: A student may elect to wear the official SJB Fall/Spring polo shirt during the months of September, May and June. Shirts must be the specific class color, gender specific and sized and worn appropriately. Polo shirts may be purchased in the school bookstore.
- Sweaters: Students (grades 9-10) may elect to wear the grey SJB school sweater or sweater vest until October or on Fridays throughout November until March. Juniors can wear either the SJB navy blazer or sweater or sweater vest (sold at Lobel's) throughout the year. Seniors may elect to wear the SJB navy sweater or sweater vest or the navy blazer or the Senior Cardigan Sweater (purchased at Lobel's) throughout the year. No other sweater may be worn.
- Colored or decorative T-shirts, tank tops, or turtlenecks are NOT to be worn under the uniform blouse/shirt. Only white undershirts may be worn. No logo or writing on shirts is permitted. No fad items may be worn on the blazer or any part of the school uniform (pins, etc.).
- All uniforms must be properly maintained and worn appropriately, as defined by the school. Torn, ripped, or worn-out blazers, pants, skirts or shoes MUST BE replaced at the request of the Administration. Any student who deliberately defaces the school uniform through coloring, drawing, or tearing material is subject to suspension and/or termination.
- The following are not permitted: A) Hats B) Tattoos C) Controversial ornaments/jewelry D) Pierced body parts (exception: girls' ear lobes) E) Writing on body parts F) Glitter, Face paint G) Hair extensions H) Head or Neck Scarves I) Hairstyles that are extreme in height and/or length.
Where there is any issue regarding the appropriateness of attire or personal appearance, the determination of appropriateness will be made by the Administration.
BOYS' DRESS REGULATIONS
1. All 9th and 10th grade male students must wear the official SJB blazer in grey with the official school wool-blend navy blue slacks.
2. All 11th male students must wear the official SJB navy blue blazer or V-neck sweater or sweater vest with the official school wool-blend charcoal grey slacks.
3. All 12th grade male students must wear the official SJB Senior Cardigan Sweater or navy blue blazer or V-neck sweater or sweater vest with the official school wool-blend charcoal grey slacks.
During the winter months (November - February) boys may choose to wear the official SJB turtleneck in lieu of shirt and tie. This turtleneck must be purchased at the SJB bookstore and worn under the school blazer. Boys are to be clean-shaven. Sideburns MAY NOT be worn below the middle of the ear. A neatly trimmed mustache ending at the lips may be worn. Hats, head scarves or headbands may not be worn. Hair length may not be extreme. Extremely short or extremely long hair is not acceptable. Hair must be off the collar, above the ears and out of the eyes. Faddish or trendy hairstyles are not permitted. Hairstyles that entail significant contrasts of longer or shorter hair are not acceptable, nor are styles that involve design, sculpting, shaving the hairline, sideburns or architecture. A boy's hair must be his natural God-given color. Bleached, dyed, frosted, lightened or bi-color hair is not permitted. The following hairstyles are not permitted: A) Unbalanced B) Shaved C) Buzzed below level 3 D) Corn rows/Dreadlocks E) "Faux Mo" F) Sculptured Cuts G) Multi-colored H) Spiked hair I) Tails. Neither earrings nor nail polish may be worn at any time on school campus or on field trips. Body piercing and tattoos are unacceptable for school. Shirts must be completely tucked into the pants and buttoned at the neck. Sleeves may not be rolled up. School pants, purchased at Lobel's, must be properly fitted and worn in a traditional business fashion above the hips and at the waist. Solid colored suspenders may be worn. Traditional plain leather dress belts (black, brown, navy) must be worn by all young men. School appropriate cloth dress or bow ties must be worn and knotted at the neck. Solid color dress socks must be worn at all times. The only allowable colors are navy, gray, black or white. Athletic socks may not be worn.
GIRLS' DRESS REGULATIONS
1. All 9th and 10th grade female students must wear the official school blazer in dark grey with the official school vest embroidered with the SJB logo and the official school wool-blend navy skort which must come down to the knee and is fitted at the waist.
2. All 11th grade female students must either wear the SJB navy blazer with vest, the SJB V-neck navy sweater or sweater vest and the official SJB wool-blend grey skort which must come down to the knee and is fitted at the waist.
3. All 12th grade female students must wear either the official SJB Senior Cardigan Sweater, the SJB navy blazer with vest, the SJB V-neck navy sweater or sweater vest and the official SJB wool-blend grey skort which must come down to the knee and is fitted at the waist.
All girls are required to wear the official school vest embroidered with the SJB logo when wearing a blazer. Vests must be buttoned at all times and blouses may not extend below the vest. Vests must be worn under the school blazer as well as any time a girl wears the school blouse. Vests are not required when a girl is wearing the SJB summer polo shirt (September, May and June). Skorts must come down to the knee. Skorts are never to be rolled up or pulled up nor should the waist be altered. Skorts should not be shortened. Blouses must be completely tucked into the skort and may not extend below the vest. All girls must wear knee-high socks (navy, grey, white), pantyhose or tights. No textured, patterned or designed stockings, heavy-weight tights, footless stockings, peds, or anklet socks are permitted. All girls have the option to wear the official school slacks purchased at Lobel's.
Excessive jewelry is inappropriate for school. A maximum of two (2) pairs of earrings may be worn only on the earlobes. No hoop earrings larger than 1"diameter are permitted. No other body piercing is acceptable. Choker chains, collars, excessive bracelets and other "non-business-like" jewelry may not be worn. Faddish and trendy hairstyles and unnatural colors are not permitted. Colored, frosted hair or any style which distracts is not permitted. Unacceptable styles include: A) Shaved, B) Buzzed C) Corn rows/Dreadlocks D) Sculptured E) Unnatural hair colors F) Multi-colored G) Spiked hair H) Hair/feather extensions. Make-up must be subtle and business appropriate. Nail polish and lipstick must be natural or light shades of red, pink, tan, beige or pastels. Black and designs are NOT acceptable. Headbands must be plain and smaller than one inch—scarves, bandanas or bows are not permitted. Neck scarves are not permitted.