4 pounds Granny Smith Apples, peeled, quartered & cored
Zest of 1 lemon
Zest of 1 orange
2 Tbsp. Lemon Juice
1 Tbsp. Orange Juice
½ cup plus 1 tsp. Sugar
¼ cup Flour
1 tsp. Salt
¾ tsp. Cinnamon
½ tsp. Nutmeg
1 egg, beaten with 1 Tbsp. Water
2 – Pie Crusts
1) Preheat oven to 400°
2) In a small bowl, combine ½ cup sugar, flour, salt, cinnamon, & nutmeg
3) Cut each apple quarter into thirds and combine with zests & juice
4) Sprinkle the apples with sugar mixture and stir until apples are well-coated.
5) Fill a pie shell with the apple mixture.
6) Brush the edge of the pie shell with the egg wash
7) Top with the second crust and tuck edges under the edge of the
bottom crust and crimp together with your fingers or a fork.
8) Brush the entire top crust with the egg wash and sprinkle with 1 tsp. sugar.
9) Cut 4 or 5 slits in the pie.
10) Place pie on a sheet pan and bake for 1 hour to 1 hour, 15
minutes, or until the crust is browned & juices begin to bubble out.
Back to SJB Culinary Club